Sustainability is the key to all facets of life...whether it be farming and gardening, camping and kayaking, or simply living on this planet from day to day.

Campers, hikers, and lovers of the outdoors have been doing it for years. We call it 'leave no trace' ~ leaving things nicer than we found them ~ in essence, the very same philosophy that we learned as little children but, which sadly, for many has fallen by the wayside as life just keeps getting busier and busier and as the world keeps moving faster and faster.

Slow down for a moment and sit a spell in the rocker on the front porch as I do my best to return my own life to those simpler times.

Enjoy your visit, come back as often as you like, and feel free to bring a friend every now and again~

MarySue

"We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public." ~Bryan White















Sunday, October 2, 2011

Turkeys...

Because I was away so much this past summer, I was not home long enough to brood any baby turkeys.  I must admit that I really do miss having turkeys around. 
If you are unfamiliar with the antics of these feathered characters, you have missed out on one of life's most wonderful treats! 




I did this little video last fall, just after I moved into the house.  It was a good thing that there were no plants in the back yard at that time, or they would have consumed every single leaf.  They are quite the characters.  The ones in the video are Bronzes and Whites.  I doubt that I have to explain to you which type is which.  Pretty self-explanatory there. 

Anyway...I enjoyed my vacations immensely (more on those in another post on another day...or two...or more), but being away so much this summer made me realize that I really do prefer the life of a homebody.  I missed my kids, I missed my dogs, I missed my garden, I missed my front porch...and I missed my turkeys.

I had been lamenting this fact to Emily and Daniel recently -- especially when it occurred to me that I had not even raised one single turkey for us for Thanksgiving this year.  We all agreed that we needed to find some turkeys -- turkeys that we could finish raising, ourselves, but which had been grown by someone who raises food in the same way that we do. 

Enter...Craig's List.  Prayers answered.

I am getting ready to build a cold frame (possibly, even a hot bed -- that is yet to be determined).  I was perusing Craig's List looking for free old windows to use as the top for my cold frame.  I looked under Free and I also looked under Farm and Garden (though I don't think that is where windows would really be -- however, I didn't see 'Building Materials', so F"&G was the next best thing).  Lo and behold...there was a listing for turkeys from the man who I always buy my turkey poults from out in Dinwiddie.  Bourbon Reds...my very favorite birds of all.



This is one of the Bourbon Reds I raised a few years ago. 



I'm gonna get me some turkeys this week. Life is good, indeed!

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...hope this predelection toward surrounding yourself with turkeys doesn't extend beyond highschool students to paddlers, or I might have to rethink our friendship ;)

    ReplyDelete