Sustainability is the key to all facets of life...whether it be farming and gardening, camping and kayaking, or simply living on this planet from day to day.

Campers, hikers, and lovers of the outdoors have been doing it for years. We call it 'leave no trace' ~ leaving things nicer than we found them ~ in essence, the very same philosophy that we learned as little children but, which sadly, for many has fallen by the wayside as life just keeps getting busier and busier and as the world keeps moving faster and faster.

Slow down for a moment and sit a spell in the rocker on the front porch as I do my best to return my own life to those simpler times.

Enjoy your visit, come back as often as you like, and feel free to bring a friend every now and again~

MarySue

"We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public." ~Bryan White















Thursday, October 20, 2011

More than a season...autumn is really a state of mind


 

Delicious autumn!
My very soul is wedded to it,
and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth
seeking the successive autumns.
 ~ George Eliot
 
 I love autumn. 
 It has always been my favorite time of the year. 
What's not to like about the autumn? 

Between the autumnal equinox and the winter solstice we get...
  • My Daughter's Birthday
  • Indian Summer
  • Apple Cider
  • Good Sleeping Weather
  • Root Vegetables
    
    
  • Beautiful Fall Foliage
  • The Beginning of Hunting Season
  • An Abundant Harvest of Good Things
  • Halloween
  • Migratory Birds on the Move
  • The End of the Mosquito Season
  • Thanksgiving
  • 
    
  • Sweaters
  • Buck and Does on the Move
  • Crisp, Cool Nights
  • Snuggling under Quilts
  • The Hunter's Moon
  • The Fall Constellations:  Pegasus, Perseus, and Cassiopea (plus a few more)
  • Combines in the Fields and the Sights and Sounds of Harvest
  • Crackling Fires -- Inside and Outside
  • The Harvest Moon
  • Pumpkins
  • ...and a Cornucopia of Other Wonderful Things
We seem to start to slow down a bit and we are not all rushing around in the autumn like we are in the summer and in the spring and during the Christmas season. 

 It is warm and cozy and wonderful.  Nothing like putting a fire in the fireplace and curling up with a good book or crocheting or practicing my dulcimer on these kinds of evenings. 
  
I have always preferred the term 'autumn' over the term 'fall'. I have never really thought much about why I have this preference...I just know that I do.  So, of course, being the Google ferret that I am, I started to dig to see if there was anything about the use of the word 'autumn' vs. the use of the word 'fall'.  Here is what I learned:
Autumn has been used since the 14th Century, Fall is much later, during the 17th Century.  At that time, both autumn and fall (often as part of the phrase fall of the leaf) were common in England.  This was the Middle English period. 
After the Revolution, British usage began shifting to the more Latinate term, influenced perhaps by Continental usage (French automne, Spanish otono, Italian autunno) or upper-class striving for refinement. Americans, much less affected by such influences, stuck with their Yankee ancestors' simple and direct term.
John Keats, an Englishman, began his "To Autumn" with the lines,
"Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness
Close bosom-friend of the maturing sun."
By contrast, James Whitcomb Riley's peerless American poem about the season climaxes with
"Oh, it sets my heart a-clickin' like the tickin' of a clock
When the frost is on the punkin and the fodder's in the shock."
A nation that could produce those lines was bound to opt for the short and bluntly descriptive term over the more cultivated Old World variant. http://www.americanheritage.com/articles/magazine/ah/2001/7/2001_7_22c.shtml

So what did Old English speakers call the season? 


Harvest. 
My very favorite time of year. 

4 comments:

  1. Ah...Harvest, the best way of all to describe this season! Are all the photos ones you took? Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite way to describe it, too! We had another beautiful day here. I invented and re-invented my cold frame and it is going to be nice. Bigger than I had initially anticipated (gotta love free windows from Craig's List), but very nice. Once I get it looking like something that looks like something, I will do a post about it.

    Yep...all of the photos are mine. Thanks! Lots of beautiful, wonderful, autumn memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fall is my favorite time of year as well, I love the name Harvest for such a bountiful season. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Sue...

    I just found my way to your blog today! What a delightful treat. Your pumpkin scones are yet another reason to love the season of the Harvest!

    ReplyDelete