Sustainability is the key to all facets of life...whether it be farming and gardening, camping and kayaking, or simply living on this planet from day to day.

Campers, hikers, and lovers of the outdoors have been doing it for years. We call it 'leave no trace' ~ leaving things nicer than we found them ~ in essence, the very same philosophy that we learned as little children but, which sadly, for many has fallen by the wayside as life just keeps getting busier and busier and as the world keeps moving faster and faster.

Slow down for a moment and sit a spell in the rocker on the front porch as I do my best to return my own life to those simpler times.

Enjoy your visit, come back as often as you like, and feel free to bring a friend every now and again~

MarySue

"We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public." ~Bryan White















Sunday, October 30, 2011

My Camera is Dead...but Yeast is Alive!

Wow...it has been over a week since I have posted.  Mostly, because my camera battery died and I have no clue what I have done with my charger.  The last time I had it, I was using it plugged into an inverter on a kayak camping trip.  I'm sure that it is buried with my paddling gear, but for now, I am posting without a photo.  It seems kind of weird to do that.  But...if I don't get this posted tonight, it will be another day (or longer) before I post again and I don't want to do that.

The past week has been a busy one.  Last weekend we put together the cold frame. (Of course, I have no photos to show for it yet -- but they will be coming soon.  In fact, as I type this, I am starting to think of more places where that camera battery charger might be.  I will look tomorrow.  Too late tonight.)  I am pleased with the way that it has turned out -- but I don't have anything growing in there yet.  Just a space that is ready to go. 

Luckily, we didn't get any of the snow that those of you who live north and northwest of us did.  A little rain and a lot of damp, chilly weather, but nothing too wintry yet.  Today was a nice day. 

When we do get that cold weather, though, at least my plants will be protected and growing.  You'll see...there really will be photos.

Speaking of growing...(nice segue, eh?)

I am growing my own wild yeast...well, hopefully, anyway.  We will have to see how it turns out.  I found several recipes online, but the one I am starting with (because, after all, I do live in the South) is a super easy:

Civil War Yeast Starter
1 Cup Flour
1 Cup Water (distilled water or purified water without chlorine)
2 teaspoons Honey

Put all into a Mason Jar (I put it into a one quart jar -- hopefully that is the right size). 
DO NOT TIGHTEN LID!  After all...we are fermenting things here. 
Store in a cool, dark space.
Take out every day. 
Secure the lid (for obvious reasons)
Shake well (that's the obvious reason)

Once you're done shaking it...loosen the lid again (so that it can continue to ferment)
...and in 7 days I am supposed to have my own homegrown yeast. 
The suggestions are, if needed, to add a small sliced potato (which will turn black...it is supposed to do so) to feed the mother.
To keep it growing, just add 1 cup of flour for every cup of the starter that you use. 

I'm only on Day 1...but I'll keep you posted.  Hopefully, with photos, too...once I find that doggone charger!

This recipe was found in the comments section of the Off Grid News. 

I am going to try this one first because it seems pretty easy and because I have everything on hand that I need.  There are lots of other ways to grow your own yeast, too...

Raisin Yeast Starter
Grape Yeast Starter
Potato Water Yeast Starter

...and I'm sure that there are many more I've not come across yet.

Once I get it growing and know what I'm doing, I will post about my efforts and hopeful successes of drying my own yeast. 

Just so I don't feel like I am completely cheating here...I have pulled a photo out of my old albums.   Two totally unrelated photos from the album I have labeled "This is Why I Kayak". 


Kevin Bacon has nothing on me....from no photos of home grown yeast to beautiful night time and sunset kayaking photos in  just two degrees. 

No surprise there, though, really...was there? 


Then, again, I do pack sandwiches sometimes when I paddle...and those sandwiches are on yeast bread....so there you have it! 










Life is always connected...we just have to take the time to make the connections. 

1 comment:

  1. I'll be fascinated to know how the wild yeast turns out, I've always wanted to try it. Your comment made me laugh...what is up with those flavored tootsie rolls? Who thought that was a good idea???

    ReplyDelete