Sustainability is the key to all facets of life...whether it be farming and gardening, camping and kayaking, or simply living on this planet from day to day.

Campers, hikers, and lovers of the outdoors have been doing it for years. We call it 'leave no trace' ~ leaving things nicer than we found them ~ in essence, the very same philosophy that we learned as little children but, which sadly, for many has fallen by the wayside as life just keeps getting busier and busier and as the world keeps moving faster and faster.

Slow down for a moment and sit a spell in the rocker on the front porch as I do my best to return my own life to those simpler times.

Enjoy your visit, come back as often as you like, and feel free to bring a friend every now and again~

MarySue

"We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public." ~Bryan White















Monday, March 5, 2012

Thunder and Goat Kids and Chicks...O My!

It may not be here officially for another three weeks, but in my mind...Spring has definitely sprung.

A week and a half ago we had our one and only snow of the season. I was okay with that. 'Tis one of the perks of living in this part of the country, in my opinion. I grew up in a region where snow lasted forever and subzero temperatures would be the norm for days and sometimes weeks on end. It's funny. When folks here start to whine about it getting into the teens, I make sure to conjure up memories of Januaries and Februaries past when we were thankful that the temperature finally got up to zero after two weeks of chipping ice out of water buckets in the barn or the multiple trips of carrying my canning kettle full of warm water from the house out to the goats a few times each day to make sure that they were staying warm and well hydrated because the outside well hydrant had frozen solid. That makes me appreciate the warmth of the teens on a chilly winter's day.

But...as usual...I digress.

Spring has, indeed, sprung this week. How can I be so sure, you ask? My first sign was that my very favorite flower, the daffodil, is in full bloom. Yes...but that's just one sign, you say...and, besides...a little over a week ago those same daffodils were buried by snow. And...you'd be correct.

But...as I said...that was my first sign of spring.

Here are the real signs...all on the same day.



















Our newest additions....new life! 

Spring has sprung, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment